The Wives by Tarryn Fisher




Review:

What a strange book!  I went into it fully expecting a Big Love-esque story, only to be totally surprised when the tale went in a totally different direction.  So as not to spoil, I won't say what that direction is, but I will say that the author ended up trying too hard to 'wow' us, and by the end there were just TOO many unclear points left for me to feel satisfied as a reader.  I did, however, find a lot of really interesting, and provocative, questions about what it means to be an independent woman in this world.  It also made for a good book club discussion, so I rated it half a point higher than I would have if just reading on my own!

Questions:

1.  The main character says it’s in women’s nature to want to know more about other women. Do you think that’s true? That we want to feel more secure about ourselves by finding the worst in others?

2.  “We busy ourselves trying not to be lonely, trying to find purpose in careers, and lovers, and children, but at any moment, those things we work so hard to possess could be taken from us. I feel better knowing I’m not alone...”. Thinking about this time we are in right now (COVID19 and quarantine and all)—a lot of things have changed. Some things have been taken away. We are finding new identities. How and where do you think we as women should/can find our true identity?

3.  How much of what Thursday told us about Seth and their marriage was true?  Did he manipulate her knowing her vulnerabilities?  


CROWNSTAR Rating:





Return to our book list page at tRBCQ

No comments:

Post a Comment